Friday, September 25, 2009

Empty or full?

I am in the midst of reading "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan - which is about seeing God for who He truly is and falling in love with Him. I felt particularly convicted by a part of the most recent chapter that defined worry and stress:

"Worry implies that we don't quite trust that God is big enough, powerful enough, or loving enough to take care of what's happening in our lives.

Stress says that the things we are involved in are important enough to merit our impatience, or lack of grace towards others, or our tight grip of control.

Basically, these two behaviors communicate that it's okay to sin and not trust God because the stuff in my life is somehow exceptional"

I do not actually consider myself much of a worrier or someone who is prone to stress. I don't think those who know me best would label me with either of those terms. But, the truth is, I do let worry and stress penetrate my life at a low level - I think most of us do on some level. And in the U.S., it is almost valued. If you aren't worried or stressed, well, then you must not be doing enough with your life. It becomes a contest - comparing who stayed up the latest or got up the earliest - who is so busy that they can't fit one more thing into their schedule.

So, why is it that keeping busy, often to the point of worry and stress, is seen as an indicator of the value of one's life in our society? And, in saying yes to everything, are we actually missing out on everything that really matters? After all, when we get to the end of this life - we won't be measured by the tasks we've checked off, the money we've made, or the people we've impressed. We will be measured by how well we have lived and loved - and sometimes, or maybe most times, I stay too busy to live and love well. I am so busy living for myself that I fail to live for God, and my full schedule leaves me with an empty life.

1 comment:

  1. this is a great post! it further reinforces my current conviction that i need to pursue a simpler life :)

    ReplyDelete